Monday, January 9, 2012

The Lost Art of Letter Writing



I'm sure we all know that letter writing has become one of the lost arts. WeLink have made way for more "effective" and "efficient" ways of communicating. Which I do see as a wonderful progress, don't get me wrong...but we do need, I think, to keep this type of communication alive! It is a simple pleasure...one that we should not lose!

I stumbled upon this website a few weeks ago...

Wordsmithery ~ http://smallworldathome.blogspot.com/p/wordsmithery.html

LOVED IT!! This wonderful woman has written out what she has done for a Creative Writing class she taught for a homeschool co op. It's all written out, and divided up by weeks. Then ideas for a 4 day week of lessons. I'm excited to implement this into our school days!

While running this all thru my head...I decided before we jumped into the lessons...I wanted to start the kids off writing letters to friends. It's important to know how to compose a friendly letter. So we gathered up notebook paper and I brought up an example on the computer. After they finished writing what they wanted to...the majority of the letters were a little shorter than I had hoped, but my fingers are crossed over time, they may get a little longer...we did the envelopes.

I definitely can see how it is so much quicker and easier to just shoot someone an email. But I still don't think it compares to that feeling when you get something out of the mailbox with your name on it!! Especially when you are a kid and don't usually get stuff coming directly to you. Or, really, as an adult to find something pleasant instead of a bill or the useless junk mail!

It went fairly well this first time sitting down with all of them to work on this. I think the majority of them enjoyed doing this little something for someone else. 3 out of 4 of them drew something extra to put in with their letter for their friend. I'm going to be sure that we keep this up along with following the creative writing lessons!

And I'm not going to let the kids have all the fun! My wonderful brother & sister-in-law gave us these great stationary sets which I'm looking forward to be putting to good use this coming year!





Found this great online article. Made me want to grab a pen right away and start writing with great lines like...

"Because receiving a personal letter is so rare these days, it can feel like a gift. Handwritten letters are especially prized."

“If you write me a letter by hand, I know in a way that cannot be faked, that you put more effort into it...”

“The act of writing—narrowing your thoughts and double-checking them and getting them to say exactly what you want—is a wonderful intellectual exercise, and letter writing promotes that.”

http://indianapublicmedia.org/arts/letter-writing/


And then...let's also touch on good ole fashioned LOVE LETTERS!! If you are married, or have a "special someone"...when was the last time you WROTE down to them how special they are to YOU??

I remember back when Danny & I first reconnected, and first moved in together. While I was at work, when it was slow, I would spend time writing letters to him. Even if we were going home together that evening. I would write the obvious sappy stuff...hopes and dreams I had for us as a couple, or us as a family...things that might have been worrying me or bugging me...and just about "this and that" that was going on that particular day. I know Danny would totally own up to that he LOVED getting those letters! He got them quite frequently!

There for little while, I would pack a lunch for Danny to take to work. I would add it a little note to remind him that I would be thinking about him that day. Or how much I appreciated him working so hard for our family.

It's been way to long since the last time I've done this. How about you??

When was the last time you wrote a handwritten letter to a friend or loved one??

How about a love note to your "special someone"??

No comments:

Post a Comment