Monday, September 2, 2013

Welcome September

Here we are at the beginning of September!  Wow.  Really.  How did that happen??  Didn't summer JUST start??  How can it be ALMOST autumn already??  Not that I'm complaining too much.  I LOVE FALL!



Well...all those EXCEPT for the football games!  I'm not a huge fan!



So here I am again attempting this blogging thing.  I really do love it...but just finding the time to really sit down and put the time into I would like to...well...that's the trick isn't it??


Today was much of a "lazy-like" day.  I worked on homeschool group/Boy Scout/Cub Scout stuff on the computer for the majority of the day...why do I do that!?!  I *REALLY* need to set like some business hours for myself or something.  Arlee, after picking her up after a birthday sleepover, slept for a good part of the day because she was just so tired.   Frost had a friend over, and played on Xbox for most of the day.  Zach & Liam were right there with the older boys watching them play.  Not a whole lot got done around the house today...which I do feel really bad about.  Wasn't really the day I had planned out in my head last night...but I will give it another go tomorrow.  :)

I've been trying to run thru my head my upcoming Cub Scout Pack meeting this week.  With it being majority homeschoolers, we are a multi-level Pack...not enough boys to actually make dens.  So we function solely as a Pack.  I came across a great website that has a whole 2 years planned out just for a Pack like ours!!   What a find!!  I love the internet!! 

Another great planning endeavor that I'm working on is our CoOp that will be staring NEXT week.  I signed up to do the Tween/Teen Book Club...which I have lovingly named, "Words & Stuff".  I've picked out our first book, which is "The Invention of Hugo Cabret".  We've seen the movie...and really liked it.  Then, recently, when I started researching the book...there was all kinds of great reviews for it!  So I had to check it out myself.  It's great!  It is this HUGE book...but it is equally done with words & illustrations!  I'm also going to be sharing some stuff about atomatons {one of my favorite words...love the way it sounds}.  Very much looking forward to our first get together!

This year, for our homeschooling, I'm not even sure what you can call it...maybe "unschooling"...maybe "eclectic" ...maybe it's more summed up like: "from a non-linier, non subjective point of view it is more like a big ball of wibbily wobbly timey wimey...stuff".  Whatever we call it, I'm excited about the year ahead.  Did you know what I just figured out the other day??  I'm 1 year away from being at my 1/2 way mark for my homeschooling career with my children!  How awesome is that!?!  This year is our 8th year...obviously, next year will be our 9th...if all goes well, and Liam graduates "on time"...I will have been homeschooling our children for 18 years!!

So, yeah, back to what we'll be doing this year...my "plans"...for the younger two...I'm going to pull in "the basics"...reading/writing/math...along with art/music...everything else will be 'as it comes along'.  I'm definitely NOT good at writing out school lessons or schedules...so things will be pretty much "by the seat of our pants".  We will work on things that resemble "lessons"...sorta, but not really.  There probably won't be much rhyme or reason for what we do each day.  I know this kinda thing makes my Hubby VERY nervous about the whole idea of homeschooling.  But, I believe, in the end...it will all work out OK.  :)

For the older two...as soon as I can pull the funds together for it...I will be signing them up for an online High School Course.  When they finish, they will have their diplomas/transcripts.  It is all online...they will give them 1 subject at a time...no due dates, turn in things when you can.  I think Hubby is on board with this one...and I love the flexibility that it comes with.  Ahhhh...the sweet sound of compromise!  :)

So there is my short & sweet update...hopefully with many more to follow!  :)   Thank you much for dropping by!  I appreciate you visiting!







5 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration! I love you bunches! Please share with me where you will be doing the online one-subject-at-a-time HS thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and by "where" I, of course, mean what website? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so very much Miss Sherry!! I love you and miss you so very much! Here is the link for the online High School: www.jmhs.com/

    I'm anxious to get them started. There are two other families using it in the homeschool group...that I know of! :)

    It runs about 1,000 for the full four years of courses. If you pay for it all up front, you do get a price break...if you set it up as auto-pay, you can also get a smaller price break.

    I believe the minimum you can put down is $49, and monthly minimum is $49. If you have credits that you have already completed, the take so much off for each one. There is also options to add on college courses...I'm pretty sure they said those were at no add'l cost though...but might want to ask just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog. Keep in mind that post secondary ed. is free for home schoolers beginning the fall of 2014. No high school enrollment needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful to know Debbie...we will definitely keep that in mind as well! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete